House Speaker Nancy Pelosi names House impeachment managers. From left to right: Reps. Hakim Jeffries, Zoe Lofgren, Jerry Nadler, Nancy Pelosi, Adam Schiff, Val Demings, Sylvia Garcia, Jason Crow.
Jan. 15, 2020 by David Silverberg
Floridian Rep. Val Demings (D-10-Fla.) has been named one of seven impeachment managers appointed today by House Speaker Rep. Nancy Pelosi (D-12-Calif.).
A second-term member of Congress, Demings represents the area around Orlando.
Born March 12, 1957 (aged 62) in Jacksonville, Fla., she was first in her family to graduate college and began her career as a social worker in Jacksonville. In the early 1980s she moved to Orlando to join the police department and was named Orlando’s first female police chief in 2007.
She first ran for Congress in 2012, narrowly losing to Republican Rep. Daniel Webster. She ran again in 2016, winning with 64.9 percent of the vote and was re-elected in in a primary in 2018 with 75 percent of the vote.
The other impeachment managers as announced by Pelosi are:
- Adam Schiff (D-28-Calif.), Lead Manager, Chair of the House Permanent Select Committee on Intelligence, serving his 10th term. Before Congress, Schiff was a California State Senator and served as federal prosecutor in the U.S. Attorney’s Office in Los Angeles for 6 years, most notably prosecuting the first FBI agent ever to be indicted for espionage.
- Jerry Nadler (D-10-NY), Chair of the House Judiciary Committee, serving his 15th term. Nadler has served as the top Democrat on the Judiciary Subcommittee on Constitution, Civil Rights and Civil Liberties for 13 years. Before Congress, Nadler served in the New York State Assembly for 16 years.
- Zoe Lofgren (D-16-Calif.) Chair of the Committee on House Administration, which has jurisdiction over federal elections, serving her 13th term. She has played a role in three presidential impeachment proceedings: as a Judiciary Committee staffer during Nixon, as a Judiciary Committee Member during Clinton, and now as a Manager.
- Hakeem Jeffries (D-8-NY), Chair of the House Democratic Caucus, serving his 4th term in Congress. He is a Member of the House Judiciary Committee. Before Congress, Jeffries served in the New York State Assembly for 6 years. An accomplished litigator in private practice before running for elected office, Jeffries clerked for Judge Harold Baer Jr. of the United States District Court for the Southern District of New York.
- Jason Crow (D-6-Colo.), member of the House Armed Services Committee. Crow served as an Army Ranger in Iraq and Afghanistan. Before running for elected office, he was a litigator in private practice in Colorado.
- Sylvia Garcia (D-29-Texas), member of the House Judiciary Committee. Before Congress, where she is serving her first term, Garcia served in the Texas State Senate. Previously, she was the Director and Presiding Judge of the Houston Municipal System and was elected City Controller. She was later elected the first Hispanic and first woman to be elected in her own right to the Harris County Commissioner’s Court.
The managers will oversee the impeachment trial in the Senate.
Liberty lives in light
© 2020 by David Silverberg